Thesis Wuthering Heights Essay
An Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights EssaySeptember 02, 2015 - Posted to Essay Types
An Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights Essay
If you have read Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights, you already understand that it is a novel with a complicated plot, lots of conflicts, and several themes. Indeed, because of the flashback telling of this story, it is really difficult to even keep the characters straight, especially since so many of them have the same names! But you should have at least been able to understand the basics of the plot revolving around Heathcliff and his transformation from waif, to privileged child, to common laborer, and then back to a member of the landed gentry, all the time being consumed with love and revenge – traits that really destroyed his life and sanity. Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte is, in fact, a story of love, jealousy, and revenge.
Topics for an Emily Bronte Wuthering Heights Essay
If you have been assigned a Wuthering Heights essay, and the topic has been left up to you, you should begin the process of selecting a topic based upon the elements of a novel.
All novels have at least one conflict, and some have more than one. In this novel, there are more than one, and all of them would make great Wuthering Heights essays:
- Discuss the conflict between young Heathcliff and Hareton. On what emotions is this conflict based? How is the conflict ultimately resolved?
- Discuss the inner conflict in Catherine as she struggles between her love of Heathcliff and her desire to move into a social class that gives her status. How is this conflict resolved in the novel?
- Discuss the more subtle conflict between Heathcliff and Edgar Linton? How is it resolved?
A couple of plot questions could be turned into solid essays:
- How does the “flashback” aspect of the tale enhance or detract from the plot development?
- Where is the climax in this plot? Are there more than one climax? If so, which are they?
Three themes are apparent in this novel – love, jealousy, and revenge. All of these can be used as Wuthering Heights essay questions:
- Contrast the type of love that Catherine has for Heathcliff and for Edgar? Is either one of these loves productive and fulfilling? Why or why not?
- Discuss love as a destructive force and as the cause of most of the conflict in the novel.
- Discuss love as a redeeming force in the end, as depicted by the marriage of young Catherine and Hareton.
- How has Hareton’s jealousy of Heathcliff ruined both of their lives?
- What did Heathcliff accomplish through taking revenge on those he perceived to have destroyed his life? Does revenge ever really satisfy someone?
General Essay Topics
- Contrast the two families in this novel – the Earnshaws and the Lintons. How do they depict the social classes of England in the late 18th and early 19th centuries?
- Contrast the characters of Heathcliff, Hareton Earnshaw and Edgar Linton.
Wuthering Heights is a complicated novel, not because its themes are difficult to understand but because it is a tale that is told in an extremely disjointed manner. If you are having trouble grasping the story, you are not alone. And if you have to write an essay and are not certain how to do it, certainly get some help.
essay writingbook essayliterature essay
Wuthering heights essay is a very frequent assignment given to the students in order to build their literary skills. The stage where students usually get stuck in Wuthering heights essay is the thesis statement part, this is the reason we are giving away five thesis statement writing ideas to give a kick start to your Wuthering heights essay.
The following are the three thesis statement ideas that are based on different themes exemplified in the Wuthering heights novel; however, you can change as per you like:
First thesis statement idea:
High profile class issues in Wuthering heights:
This one is the major plot of the novel, the main lead of the play Heath Cliff was portrayed as the most class conscious person in the novel most probably because he constantly faced ups and down throughout the novel. Furthermore, as he was an orphan he went in to bigger complex and the upheaval in the arena of the life’s standard made a worsen situation for him. This is how; the writer Emily Bronte defined the materialistic values of life canvassing the life of Heath Cliff. You can take the issues of class society as the major theme of the Wuthering heights critical essays.
Second thesis statement idea:
Revenge and hatred in Wuthering Heights:
Due to the severe inferiority complex, hatred and revenge, Heath Cliff turned in to a monster that played cheap tactics to destroy the lives of Linton and Earn haw family. You can effectively take this theme as the major subject matter for Wuthering heights and if you want to make it furthermore interesting then you can inter mingle the preceding idea with this one to add spice in the essays on Wuthering heights.
Third thesis statement idea:
Despondency and pessimism in Wuthering Heights:
Heath Cliff and Catherine used to love each other but because of the low standard of Heath Cliff, Catherine turned her eyes from him. Though this is the part of the issues of social class for Heath Cliff but you can make a great Wuthering heights essay out of it. You can describe the whole scenario of how Catherine dumped him that added to his inferiority complex and hatred for the society he was living in which eventually result in great obsession for money, wealth and high pitch social standards for Heath Cliff.
Thereby, there is more you can do with your Wuthering Heights essay only if you have read the novel and understand the basic concepts. You must also keep this in mind that the above told ideas are not thesis statement rather they are the themes out of which you can create a good thesis statement for critical essays on Wuthering heights. Therefore, the main job has to be done by you. It is recommended that you go for the first idea for thesis statement that will cover every aspect of the subject matters discussed in the play. This is how, you would be able to shed light on not only the character of Heath Cliff, Catherine but Linton and Earn haw as well.
Sam Collier is a senior research writer and provide help for Wuthering heights essays and Essays on Wuthering heights.Feel free to contact for any sort of help in this regard.