Favourite Time Of Year Essay Topics
Language Arts, Writing, Writing Process
Grade 3- 5
ObjectiveStudents will write a three-paragraph essay about their favorite times.
The following directions are broken down into parts to help students write a larger essay. The main purpose is helping students to practice putting paragraphs together. Plan to teach the following steps over the course of several days. The number of days needed depends upon your students' ability, attention span, etc.
- Brainstorm with students their favorite days of the week and favorite times of the day. Discuss the difference between a.m. and p.m. Explain that a.m. is from 12:00 midnight until 11:59 in the morning while p.m. is from 12:00 noon until 11:59 in the evening. Demonstrate the change of a.m. and p.m. on a manipulative clock. If enough manipulative clocks are available, students may also manipulate their own clocks as they work in groups.
- Instruct students to fill in their favorite day and time in the a.m. and their favorite time in the p.m. on Worksheet #1. Students can write their favorite time in the a.m. on one clock and their favorite time of the p.m. on the other clock.
- Direct students to create an illustration of their favorite times by drawing a picture on their favorite day of the week. Next to each hour of the clock, they can draw a symbol representing what they are doing at that time of the day. For example, they can draw a bed at 1:00 a.m. and a plate of eggs and toast at 7:00 a.m. When students are finished, they will have a 24-hour pictorial time line. (The same symbol may be used for different times.)
- Writing a Three-Paragraph Essay
- Distribute copies of Worksheet #2 to guide students. Explain to students that they will be writing about their favorite times in three different paragraphs to create one essay. They can record their rough drafts on the worksheet. The first paragraph will be about their favorite day of the week.
- The topic sentence for this paragraph will state each student's favorite day; however, once the essay is completed, students will add a final, main topic sentence to the beginning of this paragraph. In other words, the first paragraph will probably have six sentences. An example of the first paragraph topic sentence is as follows:
- My favorite day of the week is Saturday.
- (Note: An example of a main topic sentence that ties together all three paragraphs is given in Steps #9 and 10.)
- Students then write three supporting sentences giving reasons why they have chosen their preferred day. For example:
- I like Saturday because I do not have piano lessons. Saturday T.V. also shows many cartoons. I can play all day because I do not have to go to school
- The students' concluding sentence for the paragraph might be the following:
- Saturday is the best day of the week.
- Remind students about the difference between a.m. and p.m. Explain that a.m. is from 12:00 midnight until 11:59 in the morning, and p.m. is from 12:00 noon until 11:59 in the evening.
- Direct students to choose their favorite time of the morning and to write a paragraph using the same format as the first paragraph. For example:
- My favorite hour in the a.m. is 10:00. Sometimes on Saturday, I watch television. When I am at school, I go to recess. On Sundays, I go to church. In the morning, 10:00 a.m. is a relaxing time of day for me.
- Explain to students that they will be writing about their favorite hour in the p.m. hours.
- Direct students to use the same format as the first and second paragraphs to write their third paragraphs. For example:
- My favorite p.m. hour is 6:00 p.m. I like this time because my dad comes home from work. I also get to play a little longer. Then, I get to eat dinner. In the evening, 6:00 p.m. is a fun time of day.
- Explain to students that they need to create one major sentence to begin their essays. This is the main topic sentence that will begin the first paragraph and also will tell what the essay is about. They are to write this sentence at the top of Worksheet #2 where it reads "Main topic sentence of the essay."
- Guide students to read over their three paragraphs in order to create sentences that introduce their entire essays. For example:
- I have many different favorite times.
- Point out that they can not use "My favorite day is . . ." as a topic sentence because that only talks about one of the paragraphs.
- Explain to students that they now need to create one big concluding sentence---the final sentence of the third paragraph---that finishes the essay. For example:
- In closing, I enjoy each of these times very much.
- When students have completed their worksheets, students proofread the page for any errors they may have made and correct them.
- Edit each student's paragraph, or have students peer edit each other's work.
- Once the editing step has been completed, instruct students to rewrite their essays on lined white paper with the proper heading (name, date, and subject) and a title. Also, remind them to indent each new paragraph.
Write a single paragraph about one favorite time of the day.
Write a three-paragraph essay independently, without a worksheet for guidance. Include transitions, and develop complex sentences.
The instructor will be able to check the following:
- Is there a main topic sentence and a main concluding sentence?
- Are there three complete paragraphs in the correct format?
- Does the student provide supporting reasons for each favorite time?
- Are the grammar, punctuation and spelling correct?
- Can the student tell the difference between a.m. and p.m.?
- student copies of Worksheet #1,
- My Favorite Times and Worksheet #2
Anti Essays offers essay examples to help students with their essay writing.
Our collection includes thousands of sample research papers so you can find almost any essay you want.
Favorite Time Of Year Essays and Research Papers
- Favorite Time Of Year
- favorite season of the year is winter. There are several reasons why winter ... What seems like the time to stay indoors for humans, is the best time for wildlife. You...
- Words: 315 — Pages: 2
- My Favorite Season.
- are once again being visited by mother nature. Winter is also one my favorite times of year, for its early darkness of which Im most comfortable in, and the weather...
- Words: 2500 — Pages: 10
- Random Thoughts
- am not one of those survivors. I was thirteen years old when I survived an illness so ... that exploded on the floor every time my father took a sharp turn. By...
- Words: 7037 — Pages: 29
- Basketball Knowledge
- sport and being a fan. When the third month of the year comes around it is by far my favorite time of year, simply because March Madness, the NCAA college basketball...
- Words: 961 — Pages: 4
- Fiction Essay
- no one could mistake that it was indeed Christmas. This was my favorite time of year. The anticipation was growing and growing as the final countdown to Christmas...
- Words: 1534 — Pages: 7
- causes __________? Why do Mexican poppies flower in the spring? (Their favorite time of year?) Turns into: What causes Mexican poppies to flower in the spring...
- Words: 7098 — Pages: 29
- last year Christmas was always my favorite time of year because we ... sometimes even a small casserole, but my all-time favorite was my grandmothers sausage balls. Man...
- Words: 1335 — Pages: 6
- Cultural Essay
- passionate about is the winter months. The snowflake represents my favorite time of year. Personally, the best time to be around nature is when it is cold outside...
- Words: 598 — Pages: 3
- vacations. This is important to me because these factor into my favorite time of year. My favorite season is summer because it enables me to attend outside sporting...
- Words: 494 — Pages: 2
- Who Will Cry Motivational Theory
- into months and the months slip into years. Pretty soon its all over and you are ... connected and yet we live in a time where human beings have never been less...
- Words: 35643 — Pages: 143
- Write About Your Favourite Time Of The Year.
- used before. The last day of the holidays is the end of my favorite time of the year and school starts the following day. I fell excited, but I also know that once...
- Words: 513 — Pages: 3
- Favorite Place In Wa
- favorite kind are the Rainier cherries, which are incredibly sweet. My all time favorite ... the place that my family enjoys year after year is a town called Toppenish...
- Words: 692 — Pages: 3
- Favorite Hobby
- terrific song. There was one period of time this year that this song has been played on ... is one English song that is my most favorite song and I always listen to it...
- Words: 297 — Pages: 2
- Senior Year
- class is really good my favorite classes this year would have to be art ... same thing and the whole class is failing this time and we are all senior, if you dont ask...
- Words: 764 — Pages: 4
- The Time Travelers Wife
- Times, coffee in hand and Clare dozing beside me on our bed and suddenly I'm in 1976 watching my thirteen-year ... with white buttons, the favorite black jeans and the...
- Words: 158447 — Pages: 634
- Time Analysis Essay
- and ice hockey. I love winter time, it's my favorite time of the year. All these activities are the things I love to do in the winter time. Everyone of them get me...
- Words: 924 — Pages: 4
- Time To Waste
- I, personally, was still unsure. I have time, this year will drag and ill just ... landscapes. Sunsets and sunrises were my favorite things aside from when my family...
- Words: 1243 — Pages: 5
- Mobile Technology: How Will It Impact Our Lives In 20 Years?
- phones have evolved within short period of time. 20 years from now, one impact cell ... gained further knowledge on one of my favorite gadgets; my Smartphone. Thinking...
- Words: 1351 — Pages: 6
- Time Management For Administrators
- time management plans, bookmark the site and add exploring that site to a future "to do" list. Time Management All browsers have a bookmark or "favorites...
- Words: 19185 — Pages: 77
- Time With Grandpa
- eight years old nine years old ten years old Questions(continued): 3) What time of year is it? A. B. C. D. spring summer autumn winter 4) What is Bens favorite...
- Words: 1866 — Pages: 8
- My Favorite Place
- their favorite place is. For me, my favorite place is Japan. I used to travel there consistently at least two to three times a year over the last several years. It...
- Words: 1334 — Pages: 6
- Time Traveling, Art Historian Book Chapters
- I found to be my most favorite time period. This is a time period that produced ... should be adhered to every day of the year, by every civilization on Earth. The...
- Words: 1862 — Pages: 8
- Time Traveling, Art Historian Book Chapters
- of the Mesoamericans but, my personal favorite time periods to travel in are ... of writing has been around for 2,000 years. The art of calligraphy has long enjoyed a...
- Words: 1958 — Pages: 8
- Mu51 Support Children's Care, Learning And Development In Early Years
- report was used for the first time last year (2013) and it worked well, ... staff learn their likes and dislikes and their favorite toy, song and story. I feel myself...
- Words: 2972 — Pages: 12
- How Far Has China Changes Since The Time Of Mao
- Mao had previously banned most unnecessary interaction with the west. For the first time in years the West was allowed back into China. He set up Western Development...
- Words: 3629 — Pages: 15
- Freshmen Vs First Year
- living alone lie the responsibilities to maintain balance between academic time and social time. First year students are mature in the fact there isnt a constant...
- Words: 999 — Pages: 4
- My Years As Chatholic
- is the main thing that Jesus was trying to show me through my time this year at the program. This year of REP was filled with all kinds of emotions, both good and...
- Words: 997 — Pages: 4
- First Year
- First Year Rrrriiiiinnnggggits that time of year and schools starting, time for homework, papers and tests again. Whether youre young or old, first year or...
- Words: 288 — Pages: 2
- Time Management
- you'd like to be in six months? What about this time next year, or even 10 years from now? If not, it's time to set some personal goals! Personal goal setting is...
- Words: 7338 — Pages: 30
- Should Children Attend Year-Round School?
- But instead of repeat information once in the beginning of the year, teachers will have to do it four times a year. In conclusion I want to say that I dont want my...
- Words: 462 — Pages: 2